Sweet potato and black bean brownies with Avocado Icing: Makes 12 Servings
Sneaking as many health foods into this veggie based fudge brownie recipe. On top of being gluten-free, the icing is primarily mashed avocados and the majority of the brownie is sweet potatoes and black beans. If you or your kids like chocolate, you will love this dessert.
-2.5 tbsp. chia seeds
-one 15-ounce can of black beans ( drained and rinsed )
-2 cups of almond flour
-1 cup of peeled roasted sweet potato
-1 cup of almond milk
-2 tbsp. coconut oil
-1/2 cup maple syrup
-8 tbsp. raw cocoa powder
-pinch of salt
-1/2 cup of cocoa nibs ( blend only half and save other half to mix in at the end )
1. Soak the chia seeds in 3/4 cups of water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350’F.
3. Place all of the ingredients ( except half of the cocoa nibs ) in a food processor and blend until smooth.
4. Stir in the other half of the cocoa nibs until evenly mixed into the batter.
5. Line a baking dish ( ideally 12” x 8” x 2” ) with parchment paper. ( NOTE – Using a deeper shape might make your brownies too soft in the middle )
6. Our the batter into the baking dish and spread out evenly
7. Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife comes out almost clean.
8. Let the brownies cool so they can properly set, about 45 min – 1 hour.
9. Store in an airtight container for about 5 days.
Avocado Icing Ingredients:
-2 ripe avocados
-2 tbsp. maple syrup
-5 tbsp. cocoa powder
-1 pinch of salt
-1 tsp. vanilla powder
Avocado Icing Recipe:
1.Whip the avocado, salt, vanilla and maple syrup until well blended
2. Add the cocoa powder slowly until you get a thick chocolate sauce. Be sure to get out the clumps before adding more cocoa powder.
3. Ice your brownies!
NOTE – You can also decorate with sprinkles or I like to use dried flower petals with a sprinkle of salt