So we all grew up knowing we’d get oranges, chicken soup and a popsicle if we got sick. These days we know a little more, and we have a few more secrets in our superfoods repertoire. Here’s a few surprising ways to get extra goodness into your tiny loves when they’re under the weather.
- Kiwis have the most vitamin C of all the fruits, and it’s much more bioavailable than a supplement. Bonus, kids think they’re candy.
- Bone broth is chicken soup 2.0. Extra points for infusing with garlic and ginger which both have antibacterial and antibiotic properties.
- Turmeric is golden, you can add it soups, honey-sweetened milk, and smoothies to camouflage it for your babe. It’s a strong anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and natural antibiotic agent.
- Fresh watermelon juice (Blend some watermelon in a magic bullet and viola!) is a great way to help them rehydrate (I mix it with pedialyte and JJ chugs that shit).
- Strawberries and blueberries fall into most kids’ “favorites” category, but are also antioxidant-rich immunity boosters.
- Wheat germ is super high in Zinc (which helps fight colds) and can be added to smoothies or oatmeal easily. Wheat however may give some kiddos extra mucus (delightful), if this is the case for your babe, try Avocado it’s super high in zinc too!
Good luck mommas; hope your little loves recover quickly!